NATRUE is an international non-profit association based in Brussels, Belgium. In 2007, several European manufacturers of Natural and Organic Cosmetics joined forces and founded NATRUE. Since then others have joined and NATRUE now represents a big part of the European Natural and Cosmetics market. NATRUE has one common goal, to promote and protect natural beauty and skin care products. The NATRUE criteria’s set to a high standard and the NATRUE label strengthens consumers’ trust in natural cosmetics.
A product that is certified natural must contain natural ingredients but those ingredients do not need to be certified organic.
Any other ingredients in certified organic or certified natural products must be permitted in BioGro’s Organic Standard or NATRUE’s criteria and this can include non-toxic and environmental-friendly, synthetic preservatives and surfactants. GMOs, petrochemical based materials or any harmful-toxic chemicals are NOT permitted in certified organic OR certified natural health and body care products.
Any product featuring the NATRUE label guarantees a consumer that the product has been produced using:
· A soft manufacturing process (i.e. one that avoids unnecessary synthetic processing)
· Environmentally friendly practices
· No synthetic fragrances and colours
· No petroleum derived products (paraffin, PEG, -propyl, -alkyl, -etc.)
· No silicone oils and derivatives
· No genetically modified ingredients (complying with EU organic regulation)
· No irradiation of end products and botanical ingredients
· Products may not be tested on animals
· Quality driven with strict criteria
· An internationally-recognized standard and label
· Specific criteria for different types of products (e.g. body oils, face creams, shampoos, cosmetics)
· Any manufacturer of natural health & body care products and raw materials can apply
· NATRUE and BioGro are both not for profit organisations
· Independent verification
· Transparent certification process and criteria
There are no government regulated regulation of natural cosmetics anywhere in the world which is why NATRUE certification is valued so highly. The NATRUE label guarantees that the product claiming “natural” is genuinely natural. The NATRUE logo is well recognized in EU, USA and Asian countries such as Japan.
NATRUE has an affiliation with NSF/ANSI 305 in the USA for natural cosmetic certification. This affiliation recognizes each other’s auditing of natural cosmetic certification. Which means, if your buyer in the USA requests you to have NSF/ANSI305 certification, your BioGro audit report will be recognized by the NSF/ANSI305 program and won’t require you to have another audit.
The NATRUE criteria were developed by the Scientific Committee Criteria and Label. This Committee is still operational; half of the permanent members are experts from NATRUE member companies and half are external experts from the conventional cosmetic industry. Key stakeholders (raw material suppliers, associations, international experts etc.) are also invited to join these meetings as guests or observers in order to provide their perspective.
The Scientific Committee Criteria and Label meets regularly (4 times per year) to discuss and agree interpretation of the Criteria. The NATRUE Criteria is a dynamic standard, always updated and aligned with the most recent technical developments within the natural and organic cosmetic sector. Regular teleconferences are held with the NATRUE Approved Certifiers to assist in a harmonized interpretation and understanding of the NATRUE Criteria.
The NATRUE Criteria is available online at www.natrue.org in six languages.